Resident Assistants

Spring flowers in front of Wharton Hall

Resident Assistants (RA) serve a key role at Swarthmore. They help build student residential culture, act as confidants and supporters, and partner with the administration as needed.

There are important financial considerations related to the job of being a Resident Assistant. If you plan to work as a Resident Assistant, here are some key pieces of information to understand.  

2017–18 Resident Assistant Compensation

Resident Assistants (RA) for 2017-2018 will be compensated $7,670 for their work. Of the $7,670, $4,540 will appear as a credit on your bill ($2,270 each semester) and $3,130 will come to you through the student payroll for your personal expenses ($1,565 each semester).  RA compensation replaces the earning elements of the aid award, but does not affect the amount of your scholarship unless your financial aid package has a reduced summer earnings or campus job contribution.  In these cases being an RA may impact your scholarship.

Tax Considerations

The compensation you receive for your work as a Resident Assistant is considered taxable income by the Internal Revenue Service and must be reported on your federal income tax return, if you file one. The $3,130 paid to you directly through student payroll will be reported on your Swarthmore College W-2 wage statement form. The $4,540 credited directly to your College bill is not reported on your W-2, and must be accounted for separately on your federal income tax return.