How Does the Reconsideration Process Work?
The Financial Aid Office uses a holistic approach to determine a student’s financial need and provide a financial aid award that best reflects the information submitted in the financial aid application. If information that you provided in your financial aid application has changed for reasons beyond your family's control, or if the information was submitted incorrectly, parents of dependent students may request a reconsideration of the new information. This option is available for parents who file U.S. federal income tax returns and/or who reside and earn in the United States.
Reconsiderations due to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
Swarthmore College understands that your family may have some residual financial concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Financial Aid Office will continue to work to help answer your questions and provide you with as much information as possible.
Typically, a change in employment or income must be in effect for at least two (2) months before a request for reconsideration can be filed. Changes to your family income or employment status that are just now occurring or that are predicted to occur may not result in an immediate change to your financial aid decision. However, our process for reconsideration allows you the opportunity to share those concerns, and the Financial Aid Office will be as responsive as possible. Specific questions should be directed to the Financial Aid Office via email email@example.com.
If you are an independent student, you should send the written request for consideration directly to your assigned financial aid director. The letter or email should describe the changes in income or circumstances that are beyond the family's control, or provide additional information that was not included in the financial aid application. The student's assigned financial aid director will be in touch with the student and/or family as quickly as possible to discuss possible next steps.
- Domestic students should contact Kristin Moore, Director of Services, Financial Aid
- Students with an F-1 visa (international/foreign national/non-U.S. citizen) should contact Varo Duffins, Director of Financial Aid
- A financial aid committee meets regularly within the review period to discuss requests for reconsideration of financial aid application information.
- Requests for reconsideration are reviewed and processed in the order that they are received.
- The deadline to request a reconsideration for prospective newly admitted students is prior to making your enrollment deposit. The reconsideration request will not extend your enrollment deposit deadline set by the Admissions Office.
- Reconsideration requests regarding returning current student awards are considered only after initial financial aid awards are completed for all returning current students.
- The deadline to request a reconsideration for current students of your current financial aid decision is December 1 of your current academic year.
- Requests for reconsideration will be considered for students and families who have completed their financial aid application on time.