Campus Construction Highlights
Dining and Community Commons
- Through this project, the College community has the exciting opportunity to reimagine the social and dining experiences that are central to Swarthmore’s ability to fulfill its mission of educating the whole person. Learn more about the Dining and Community Commons here.
Maxine Frank Singer '52 Hall
- Singer Hall construction highlights can be found here.
Campus-Wide Steam System Replacement, Phases 1 and 2
- The first phase of a multi-year project to replace the aging steam heating system on campus began in 2018. Construction is underway to install equipment in the Central Utility Plant north of the Science Center and piping from that building to the heating system of the new Singer Hall. Concurrent with this work, piping is being installed from Singer Hall to Pearson Hall to add Pearson to the new hot-water system.
Martin Biological Laboratory
- Martin will be vacated when Singer Hall is completed. Planning is now underway for the eventual repurposing of Martin to accommodate other academic needs.
Lang Music Building
Lang Music: 2020 saw a major renovation of the Lang Music Building. The scope of the project included:
- The creation of an accessible ramp from the concert hall level to the main lobby to allow equitable transit by all visitors
- Bathroom renovations designed to create modern and accessible spaces, while also replacing old infrastructure and piping
- Offsite restoration of the '74 Holtkamp organ. The organ has now been reinstalled in the hall, and is fully operational for the first time in more than 10 years.
- A full replacement of all mechanical systems to improve comfort, humidity control for preservation of instruments, including the '74 Holtkamp organ, and greater energy efficiency
- An extensive redesign of Presser Hall, to create an accessible, acoustically isolated, flat-floored rehearsal space for the Balinese Gamelan ensemble and Chinese music ensemble, as well as other small ensembles and chamber groups. The design includes installation of a large window into the woods and storage space for the instruments of both groups.
- The creation of a lit, paved egress path from the Concert Hall to allow for safe evacuation in the event of an emergency
- Roof replacement/restoration
- Hicks Hall demolition and installation of Egleson murals in Old Tarble, 2019
- McCabe Library, 2nd Floor Alterations, 2018
- Hormel-Nguyen Intercultural Center, 2018
- Whittier Hall, 2017
- PPR Apartments, 2017
- Danawell Residence Hall, 2015
- New Dining Hall and Community Commons
- Martin Biological Laboratory
- Athletics and Fitness Master Plan Projects