Capital Budget Planning
The Facilities and Capital Projects Division is responsible for the College’s Capital Plan. If your department has a capital need, then please complete a capital planning request form, which can be found under the Forms section of the Budget Office website. Include a description of the proposed project or purchase and how it will further the goals of your department, your division, and the College. Please refer to the following website to ensure your request reflects Swarthmore's broader mission:
- Swarthmore Priorities: https://www.swarthmore.edu/middle-states-accreditation-process/swarthmore-priorities
Financial managers should discuss their capital needs with their President’s Staff member in advance of their submission. Capital budget items include, among others:
- Renovations, additions, or structural changes that extend the useful life of a building or change the use of existing space.
- Equipment purchases (primarily fixed equipment)
- Repairs or replacements that extend the useful life of a building (e.g. New roof)
- Computer hardware and software systems
[Note: Minor building repairs and routine maintenance are not considered capital budget items.]
Facilities Management, in consultation with Finance and ITS, will determine if a project ultimately belongs on the Capital Plan. In some instances, projects may be transferred to the operating budget as expense items given the scope and intended outcome.
For more information, please contact Jan Semler, Director of Capital Planning and Project Management (for facilities needs), or Joel Cooper, Chief Information Technology Officer, (for technology requests).