Public Safety Advisory Committee
The purpose of the Public Safety Advisory Committee (PSAC) is to work collaboratively with the Swarthmore College Department of Public Safety on issues related to current campus security policies and procedures and make recommendations for their improvement relating to:
- providing recommendations on educating the campus community, including security personnel and those who advise or supervise students, about sexual assault;
- providing recommendations on educating the campus community about personal safety and crime prevention;
- providing recommendation for strategic plans and safety issues on campus;
- providing feedback and suggestions pertaining to new technologies in the public safety field and implementing programs on campus.
- serving as a liaison for community concerns or issues that relate to campus safety.
- Receive briefing on community concern/complaints pertaining to public safety staff and provide feedback for training and community engagement initiatives to build and maintain campus trust.
Membership is inclusive and intended to represent the rich diversity that is so integral to our community. The Director of Public Safety, or his designee, will invite various members of the College community to serve as members, including:
- representative from Student Government Orginization;
- representative from the faculty;
- representative from the Athletic Department;
- representative from the Resident Assistant Program and other Residential Peer Leader Programs;
- representative from the Worth Health and Wellness Center;
- representative from the Office of Student Engagement (OSE);
- representative from the Residential Life Office;
- representative from the IC/BCC/WRC;
- representative from the Wellness Program.
The PSAC will meet once a month, on the first Thursday, in Sharples Dining Hall at lunchtime, during the academic year. A meeting agenda will be sent prior to the scheduled meeting and suggestions for discussion topics will be welcome. Meeting minutes will be recorded and kept on file at the Department of Public Safety.
The office of the Director of Public Safety will provide the staff support and administrative assistance for this committee.