Off-Campus Study Program
The Swarthmore Off-Campus Study Program in a nutshell:
Earn Swat credit while you are abroad that counts towards your major/minor, or take electives
Use your financial aid package as you would during a regular semester at Swat
Immerse yourself in a new academic and cultural environment, and hone your (inter)cultural competence skills
Learn a new language, or enhance your language skills by enrolling in classes at a local university
Develop your social network and create new friendships with students from all over the world
With over 300 approved programs, finding the right program for you is very exciting, but can also feel a bit overwhelming. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you start your search:
- Some academic departments/programs have selected a semester that's best for study abroad. Be sure to check your department's/program's website. You can also consult this spreadsheet [pdf] for guidance.
- You are allowed to study abroad during spring of sophomore year, junior year, or fall of senior year (with approval from your major).
- Read previous students' evaluations, and talk to past participants of programs you are considering.
- While browsing programs, filter for things that are important for you - home stays, language immersion, field research, etc. This will help narrow down the options.
And remember - the OCS staff is here to help! During your advising appointment we will help you navigate your program options, and answer any questions you may have. And of course you can always email us.
Search for programs by Academic Focus
- All Academic Focuses
- Environmental Studies
- Fine Arts
- Language Immersion / Learning
- Math and CS
- Natural Sciences
- Social Sciences
Other search options
Here is a list of our Featured Programs. Those are programs with which Swarthmore has a special affiliation.
If you prefer to search by geographical region, you can do a map search here.
You can also search the database by selecting from a range of other parameters such as housing, language, country, etc.
Click here to access the program database.