Student Payroll FAQs
- What documents do I need to complete in order to be hired into the Payroll system?
You will need to complete an I-9, W-4, and a Direct Deposit form [doc]. Once these are completed, you may begin working. You will be able to complete these forms during orientation if you are a new student. Please make sure to bring with you the required ORIGINAL documents. You will not be able to work until this requirement is fulfilled.
- Do I need to provide original documents when I complete my I-9 form or can I bring a copy?
No copies can be accepted, this is a federal requirement. The individual reviewing your documents must sign an affidavit stating that they have reviewed original documentation. Here is a list of acceptable documents [pdf].
- Do I have to complete paperwork for every job I am hired for on campus?
No, once you have completed your new hire paperwork, you will only need to complete forms that expire (exempt W-4 forms must be completed each year) or you want to make a change (changing a bank account, etc.).
- I don't have a blank voided check to provide for my direct deposit. What should I do?
Contact your bank and ask them for your account number and ABA routing number. As long as we have these numbers, you don't necessarily need to provide a voided check. However, we will send a prenote of this information to our bank to make sure that these numbers are valid. During the prenote, you will receive a live check.
- Can I use any bank to deposit my pay?
Yes, as long as it is a United States bank and it is part of the ACH system, which is true for most banks.
- I have been working but my timesheet is not showing up on mySwarthmore. What does this mean?
This generally means that your supervisor has not yet hired you into the system. Contact them and make sure that this has been completed. And keep in mind that it takes a few days to process new job information. Most especially during the early part of the fall semester, when everyone is hiring.
- I have entered my hours for the first week of the pay period, but cannot add hours for the second week.
This usually means that your job has been ended in the system. Contact your supervisor to see if this has happened.
- I missed the Monday, 10 a.m. deadline to enter my hours. Now what?
Contact your supervisor and ask them to enter any hours that you did not add.
- What happens if I mistakenly click the "submit timesheet for approval" button before the end of the pay period?
Contact your supervisor and ask him/her to return it to you for correction.
- How often do I get paid?
Students are paid biweekly, on Wednesdays. You can find a complete schedule on the Student Payroll office website.
- Who do I contact if I have questions concerning my paycheck?
The first place to start is with your supervisor. If you are missing hours, for example, your supervisor will need to contact the Payroll Office with any additions.
- How do I view my past paychecks and timesheets?
All of this information is available on the mySwarthmore website.