Awarded to graduating seniors and graduates of Swarthmore College (with no age limits) for an initial year of advanced graduate work at institutions in the US or abroad. Swarthmore Fellowships carry a stipend of $5,000 or more, paid directly to the school of your choice in installments. Available fellowships: Leedom, Lippincott, Lockwood (preferentially given to members of the Society of Friends), Mott, Tyson (for women planning to enter elementary or secondary education), Janney (for women pursuing graduate studies in the humanities, preferentially given to members of the Society of Friends, and subject to application for renewal), McCabe (for graduate work at one of the following business schools: Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Northwestern, Penn, or Stanford; subject to application for renewal).
- U.S. citizenship is NOT required.
April 20th of every year.
How to Apply
The 2022-23 application is now closed. The 2023-24 application will become available in January 2023. In addition to an application, the other components include:
1. An unofficial copy of your Swarthmore transcript.
2. If you are currently in graduate school, an unofficial copy of your graduate school transcript. PLEASE NOTE: If you are applying for a Janney or McCabe Fellowship renewal you do not need to send your Swarthmore transcript.
3. Your resume or CV.
4. For Lockwood and Janney only: If you are a member of the Society of Friends please attach written documentation, e.g. from the Clerk of the Meeting, affirming your membership in a Meeting and stating which Meeting. If you are not a member of the Society of Friends you do not need support documentation.
5. Please ask your recommenders to email their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Members of the Fellowships and Prizes Committee review each application and determine recipients based on the availability of funds.