BEP Construction Highlights
Scheduled completion in 2020:
- First phase of construction will go on through Summer 2019. Phase 1 includes all space for the Department of Engineering and all teaching and research laboratory space for the Biology and Psychology Departments.
- Second phase of construction will go on through Summer 2020. Phase 2 includes faculty and staff offices for Biology and Psychology, the Commons area, outdoor spaces and final landscaping.
- Phases 1 and 2 building areas will be united by an three-story high skylit atrium upon completion.
- Excavation for Phase 1 building foundations and preparation for structural steel erection, which will begin in late fall. (Fall 2017)
- Structural steel erection beginning November/December 2017. (Fall 2017)
- Engineering Department move-in (Summer 2019)
- Final Biology and Psychology departments move-in (Summer 2020)
- High-performance heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, including:
- Chilled beams for ventilation in lab spaces
- Radiant flooring in Commons area
- Energy efficient hot-water heating system with a low carbon impact
- Cistern in place to collect roof rainwater, below-grade infiltration and retention beds
- Exterior is designed to both reduce heat from sun on south and west façades, and to maximize natural light on north and east façades
- Use of natural, minimally-processed, recycled, and recyclable materials throughout
- Integrated, natural landscape design
- Energy and water systems will be monitored in real time, and data will be used for educational purposes