Every Swarthmore student has an assigned student dean. Your dean's name is listed in the Degree Audit section of mySwarthmore.
Why might a student reach out to a student dean?
- you are trying to find balance between your academics and your other responsibilities
- you are looking for mentors here or beyond
- you are having a serious medical problem and are trying to figure out how to approach your academics
- you are figuring out how to navigate Swarthmore and your various communities (home, service, identity, adoptive, global)
- you are experiencing personal challenges that are affecting your academics
- you are considering taking a semester away from Swarthmore
- you had something really wonderful happen and want to share the joy
The student dean model at Swarthmore
I. First-year students
- international students are assigned to Dean Jennifer Marks-Gold, Assistant Dean and Director of International Student Programs
- all other students are assigned to Dean Karen Henry, Dean of First Year Students
II. Beyond the first year
- international students stay with Dean Jennifer Marks-Gold
- other students are reassigned to Student Deans Liz Derickson, Imaani El-Burki, Rachel Head, Dion Lewis, Nathan Miller, or Michelle Ray, who will remain their dean through the remainder of their time at Swarthmore
- incoming transfer students are assigned to Dean Liz Derickson
Dean Nathan Miller functions as a coordinator for Student Deans. Dean change requests can be made by emailing Dean Miller.