Summer Learning Program
Not too often do you hear about a children's chorus solving math problems, cooking eggs Benedict, or learning the science behind fireworks! Yet, each summer, more than 100 Chester children do that and more during our six-week Summer Learning Program (SLP).
Held at Swarthmore College, the SLP aims to decrease summer learning loss, build academic and social skills, and most importantly, give our children a summer to remember.
In addition to music and math, the full-day, free program immerses our children in: reading, science, dance, art, swimming, cooking, photography, and more.
And Fridays are meant for even more fun with inflatable water slides, BBQs and field trips.
The SLP culminates with summer concerts and exhibitions of student work including photography, art, and science.
- The SLP helps students to avoid “summer learning loss.” Research shows that the average student loses 17–34% of the prior year’s learning gains during summer break.
- Science for Kids, a component of the SLP, is designed and delivered by Swarthmore College science faculty, staff and students. For many children, this is the first time they have had fun learning science.
- Children are exposed to subjects and concepts that may not be available in schools such as photography, African and hip-hop dance, cooking and musical composition.
- Our children learn to build community, work together, and develop skills needed to excel in their community and beyond.
- Free program
- Full-day (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.)
- Round-trip transportation
- Meals provided (breakfast, lunch, snacks)
- Classes are taught by full-time CCC staff, college professors, elementary and high school teachers, college students and recent college graduates.
Support the Summer Learning Program
- The SLP is an integral component of the Chorus with $400,000 dedicated to its success.
- For six weeks, children receive round-trip transportation, meals, field trips, individualized instruction and much more – at no cost to families.
- Nearly 60 temporary staff are hired who provide our children with hands-on instruction meant to instill interest, excitement, and a love of learning.