Call for Papers
2019 Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellows Regional Conference at Swarthmore College, November 15-16, 2019
Swarthmore College is honored to host the 2019 Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program’s Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference. This year’s theme is “The MMUF Field.” We invite MMUF students currently enrolled at partner institutions to submit abstracts for presentations that touch upon this theme.
The MMUF Program delineates the ‘Eligible Fields of Study’ as follows:
- Anthropology and Archaeology
- Area/Cultural/Ethnic/Gender Studies
- Art History
- Geography and Population Studies
- Film, Cinema and Media Studies (theoretical focus)
- Musicology, Ethnomusicology, and Music Theory
- Foreign Languages and Literatures
- Performance Studies (theoretical focus)
- Philosophy and Political Theory
- Religion and Theology
- Theater (theoretical focus)
- Interdisciplinary Studies
This year’s conference will serve as an opportunity for our MMUF community to reflect on the notion of The MMUF Field and its origins, contours, and future trajectory.
The organizing committee welcomes 300-400 word abstracts for presentations that address A) a current research project of the Fellow, and B) an explicit discussion of how that research project is positioned vis-à-vis the relevant MMUF field. Only abstracts that outline how the presentation will cover both of these dimensions will be accepted.
Please make submissions here no later than 12:00pm/noon EST on Tuesday, October 1, 2019. If you have questions or concerns, please send an email to Professor Sa'ed Atshan, Coordinator of the MMUF Program at Swarthmore College.
Decisions will be released by October 7, 2019.
You must confirm no later than noon on October 10, 2019 of your plan to attend and present once your proposal has been accepted.