Records Management at Swarthmore
The Records Management Program at Swarthmore College is defined by a Records Management Policy [PDF] that establishes and governs the program, as well as retention schedules that designate the appropriate handling of record types on a department-by-department basis.
All employees of Swarthmore College are responsible for managing and maintaining their records in compliance with the Swarthmore College Records Management Program as well as applicable department policies and the law. The Records Management program is overseen by the Office of General Counsel. The College Records Manager and varies advising committees are responsible for developing, implementing, and administering the program. Each department is responsible for developing and updating its records retention schedule as appropriate, in coordination with the College Records Manager.
The College Records Manager are responsible for the following:
- Provide leadership of college-wide records management programs and initiatives.
- Monitor compliance with records retention schedules and update schedules as needed to support legal and regulatory requirements, university policies, and archival best practices.
- Conduct surveys and provide recordkeeping advice to departments, offices, and programs.
- Develop and deliver records management training and outreach activities.
- Participate in policy management, development, and consultation activities. Coordinate with administrators in departments and divisions to ensure appropriate consultation.
- For questions about transferring materials to the College Archives, contact the Friends Historical Library: firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-328-8496.
- Before sending any materials to the College Archives, always contact the Friends Historical Library first.
- Please complete, print out, and sign this Records Transfer Receipt form [PDF], and send it along with your records to the College Archives
- Print Services provides a shredding service for the College. This preset schedule is available to participating departments only. If you would like further information, please contact Tarsia Duff, Print Services, 610-328-7786 or email@example.com.
- Please complete an Authorization Form for Secure Destruction of Records [PDF] before shredding and retain it in a permanent file along with your records retention schedule.
- For questions about electronic records or electronic records security, contact ITS at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For general records management questions, contact David Obermayer