Season of Kindness 2018
There are many ways to spread kindness this holiday season. Whether you support your favorite non-profit organization through the United Way, give blood at the American Red Cross drive, or share your time, energy, and resources in other ways, your kindness makes our community stronger.
Mon., Nov. 12 through Sun., Dec 16
Swarthmore's ez-Pledge campaign has been extended! Give through this Sun., Dec. 16!
What is the United Way?
The power of the United Way lies in its ability to bring the right groups of people together to solve complex problems. For nearly a century, the United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey (GPSNJ) has been a where people and organizations can come together to tackle our region’s challenges and make an impact in our community.
The United Way of GPSNJ recently set a powerful goal of ending intergeneration poverty by 2030. Through an agenda focused on supporting programs that address fostering successful children and youth as well as self-reliant individuals and families, in 2018 they awarded their first sets of three-year grants to 150+ partner agencies whose work and missions align with this goal.
How Can I Support the United Way?
Swarthnore's United Way ez-Pledge campaign runs from Mon., Nov. 12, 2018 through Sun., Dec. 9 2018! Through the ez-Pledge portal, you may allocate your gift to the United Way's Impact Fund, where gifts from of thousands of individual and corporate donors are combined to support our partner agencies. The United Way is also an avenue through which to donate to any registered non-profit (501c3) of your choice! Through the eZ-Pledge portal, you can set up a one-time or recurring donation and select exactly where you'd like your donation to go, all in one place.
United Way eZ-Pledge Instructions
Create Your Account
- Visit the secured EZ-Pledge link on a Google Chrome browser, or copy and past the following link: https://bit.ly/2SYgJo9
- Complete the registration page by entering the requested information then selecting "Create Account"
- Type your work email address and hit the “Tab” key
- Additional fields will then be shown; required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*)
- When complete, select “Create Account.” You will be taken directly to Swarthmore’s EZ-Pledge home page.
Complete Your Pledge
Once you’ve created your account you will be directed to the Swarthmore ez-Pledge home page where you'll follow these quick steps to complete your pledge.
- Select your pledge type and gift amount. You may give through a payroll deduction, credit card, electronic check, or "bill me" (UW will send you quarterly invoices).
- If selecting “Payroll Deduction”, you have the option to select the number of pay cycles that you would like your gift deducted from. Payroll options this year will range from 1 through 26 and deductions will begin on 1/1/2019.
- To direct a portion of your gift outside of United Way, select “I would like to direct my gift to a specific organization”, then select “next.”
- Select the organization(s) you’d like to give to. Through EZ-Pledge, you have the option to give a gift to United Way Impact Fund, multiple gifts to any registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit throughout the US or a combination of both.
- Give to United Way Impact Fund under the “Break the Cycle” banner.
- Give to any registered nonprofit using the arrow near the “Expand Organization Search” option to search for a nonprofit by name/keyword
- Once you've located the organization of your choice, select the “Plus Sign” to add the charity and gift amount to your pledge then “next.”
- Add your contact information, so that United Way can send you a pledge receipt.
- Confirm the details of your gift and you're done!
If you would like to give a cash gift, please contact Theresa Maguire, human resources manager for Work Life and Employee Recognition Programs, at email@example.com for a paper pledge form.
If you are experiencing difficulty accessing information on this site due to a disability, or if you have questions or concerns regarding the accessibility of content on this site, please contact United Way’s Donor Services team, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-800-417-8742, for assistance.
Tues., Dec. 4, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
Inn at Swarthmore, Gatering Room A
Register at redcrossblood.org with sponsor code: Swarthmore
Did you know that every 2 seconds, someone in the US needs blood? A single donation can save more than one life, and aid in the treatment of cancer, organ transplants, burns, and more. The Red Cross services communities across the United States, and every year their partnership with Swarthmore provides much-needed donations to patients in our area hospitals. To register for Swarthmore's blood drive, visit redcrossblood.org and enter sponsor code: Swarthmore.
What is the process of giving blood?
Giving blood is a straightforward process that has a big impact. It takes about an hour of your time from start to finish, and a single donation can help multiple patients being treated from everything from burns to cancer. Learn more about the process of donating blood here.
What if you can't give blood?
If you can’t give blood, there are other ways to lend a hand! Recruit donors, bring snacks to the drive, or volunteer with registration and refreshments. For more information, visit redcross.org/volunteer/become-a-volunteer#step1 or contact Jillian.Daws@redcross.org.
Monday, Nov. 19 , 12:15-12:45 p.m.
Clothier Stadium Track
Join your friends and colleagues for a turkey trot around Clothier stadium track (weather permitting). Please bring one or more non-perishable food item for donation to our local food bank. No need to register for the trot itself—just come on down to the track to get your steps in for a good cause!
If you're interested in racking up your steps throughout the month of November and taking part in the Turkey Trot Fitbit Challenge, you can register at bit.ly/swatturkeytrot18 or reach out to Max Miller, assistant athletics director for recreation and wellness, at email@example.com with questions. Prizes will be awarded to participants who average at least 10,500 steps throughout the month, and a special grand prize will be awarded to the Top Stepper in November!
Friday, Nov. 30–Friday, Dec. 21
Donation bin in the Human Resources Offices in 101 South Chester Rd.
Clean out your closet this winter and help keep families warm! Throughout December, Human Resources will be collecting gently-used coats and blankets in all sizes to donate to City Team. City Team helps families across the United States, including in our local Chester community through offering hot meals, shelter, clothing, learning and career support and other resources. Donation bins are located in the Human Resources office in the first floor of 101 South Chester.