Skip to main content

Limits to Our Services

Counseling and Psychological Services strives to provide many high-quality clinical services to our students. However, some are beyond the scope of our mission or require specialization. Although we may not provide a specific service, we are happy to help you find the resources you seek off campus. Please contact Counseling and Psychological Services to discuss your needs.

We provide clinical and consultation services to currently enrolled Swarthmore students and consultation services to faculty and staff. We are not able to provide clinical services to:

  • Incoming first-year students prior to orientation
  • Seniors who have graduated
  • Alumni
  • Students returning from leave of absence prior to the beginning of the semester

Staff and faculty should consult the employee handbook for more information on obtaining clinical services.

The following services are examples of specialized care that we do not provide. Please contact us if you need help finding these services.

  • Specialty care (EMDR, psychoanalysis, body work, etc.)
  • Intensive substance abuse treatment
  • Intensive outpatient treatment
  • Assessment for service or emotional support animals
  • Forensic evaluations
  • Neuropsychological evaluations
  • Court ordered treatment or treatment that is the stipulation of probation
  • Evaluations for attorneys or courts related to difficulties such as alcohol infractions (e.g., driving under the influence) or other domestic matters such as parents seeking custodial authority of a student
  • Services to students who are not medically stable or require intensive medical treatment
  • Mediation for on-campus proceedings

If you have questions, please contact Counseling and Psychological Services at 610-328-8059.