Laboratory Safety Committee
The Swarthmore Laboratory Safety Committee is charged with providing general oversight and guidance to departments through promotion of safety practices and an environment that is safe from recognized chemical, biological, and physical hazards in laboratory settings. The committee will promote information sharing, review and implementation of departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines that are utilized during laboratory operations. The committee will provide a forum where employees may communicate any safety related concerns and/or needs.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies and all applicable departmental polices, procedures, and guidelines.
- Discuss and make recommendations regarding safety suggestions, questions, and issues as they arise.
- Open a path for communication to share best practices between all laboratories.
- Establishing strategies to ensure ongoing and adequate hazard identification, surveillance, and risk evaluation of laboratory activities.
- Review all laboratory accidents and incidents, and develop plans of action to prevent future events from occurring.
- Create and implement a schedule for laboratory safety surveys.
- Review, and assist with creation of if needed, departmental specific policies, procedures, and guidelines that are applicable to the health and safety of the laboratory.
- Serve as a resource for other employees regarding the following:
- Biological hazards
- Chemical hazards
- Waste management and disposal
- Compressed Gas
- Laser Safety
- Ergonomic hazards
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)