What are Alchemist Workshops?
- Drop-in study sessions that are staffed by students with strong chemistry backgrounds who have received mentoring instruction through the Dean’s office.
- Alchemists work with students individually as time allows and they facilitate group collaboration.
- Working in groups is helpful -
- It helps students to see that there is often more than one way to approach a problem.
- It gives students a chance to verbalize their understanding of concepts to fellow students.
- Explaining material to others often helps to deepen one’s own understanding.
- See the schedule below to determine when and where the workshops for your course meet.
Who are workshops for?
- Anyone currently taking a chemistry course listed in the schedule above.
- Individuals and groups are welcome, so encourage your classmates to attend with you.
How do I effectively use workshops?
- Drop in to a workshop any time while it is in session. When you enter the classroom, sign in, have a seat and an alchemist will assist you as soon as she or he is available.
- To make the most of your time in workshop, first try problems on your own and bring your questions to ask the alchemist.
- Bring your class notes and text book as these are helpful references for both you and the alchemist.
- Reread your class notes. If there was something during lecture that you did not understand, ask about it.
- Do not expect to be able to start and finish your homework assignments during a single workshop.
- Do not expect to get individual attention the entire time you are in workshop, other students may also have questions for the alchemists.
- Bring coursework or homework to work on while the alchemist is assisting other students.
- The alchemists are here to help you succeed, not to do your coursework for you. They will not do problems for you or just give you answers.
- Attend workshop with classmates so that you can share ideas and work together.
|Chem 10||SC L26||
Sunday-Ritka Rajamani, Alexis Duffy, Vijay Chhabra
Tuesday-Sophie Rodner, Jenny Lewis, Emily Chen
Thursday-Jonah Pacis, Tobias Jaramillo, Bryan (Kai) Tan
Alternates-Michelle Chen, Mojisoluwa Oludare
Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday 8:00-10:00 pm
|Chem 11||SC 264||
Sunday 7:00-9:00 pm
|Chem 32||SC 181||
Sunday-Thembalami Dube, Grant Nguyen
Monday-Sam Bartolone, Vivian Guo
Tuesday-Aaron Thammavongxay, Ian Chen
Thursday-Andy (Anzhi) Chen, Colin DeLaney
|Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 7:00-9:00 pm|
|Chem 48||SC 264||Wednesday-Kyra Roepke||
Wednesday 7:00-9:00 pm
|Chem 56||Cornell Library 110||Tuesday-Casey Jordan||
Tuesday- 7:30-9:30 pm