What are Alchemist Workshops?
- Drop-in study sessions that are staffed by students with strong chemistry backgrounds who have received mentoring instruction through the Dean’s office.
- Alchemists work with students individually as time allows and they facilitate group collaboration.
- Working in groups is helpful -
It helps students to see that there is often more than one way to approach a problem.
It gives students a chance to verbalize their understanding of concepts to fellow students.
Explaining material to others often helps to deepen one’s own understanding.
- See the schedule below to determine when and where the workshops for your course meet.
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 1||
Tuesday 7- 8pm
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 2||
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 3||
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 4||
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 6||
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 7||
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 8||
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 9||
|Chem 10||Zoom||Cohort 10||
|Chem 10HN||Zoom||Rory Schmidt||Monday 7-9pm|
|Chem 32||Zoom||Andi Cheng, Ally Scheve||Sunday 7-9pm|
|Chem 32||Zoom||Maddie Farber, Max Finkelstein||Monday 7-9pm|
|Chem 32||Zoom||Eva Karolczak, Emma Parker Miller||Tuesday 7-9pm|
|Chem 32||Zoom||Noah Cheng, Joe Scott||Wednesday 7-9pm|
|Chem 44||Zoom||Ariana Yett||
|Chem 48||Zoom||Twan Sia||Friday 7-8pm|
|Chem 56||Zoom||Ariana Yett||
Who are workshops for?
- Anyone currently taking a chemistry course listed in the schedule above.
- Individuals and groups are welcome, so encourage your classmates to attend with you.
How do I effectively use workshops?
- Drop in to a workshop any time while it is in session. When you enter the classroom, sign in, have a seat and an alchemist will assist you as soon as she or he is available.
- To make the most of your time in workshop, first try problems on your own and bring your questions to ask the alchemist.
- Bring your class notes and text book as these are helpful references for both you and the alchemist.
- Reread your class notes. If there was something during lecture that you did not understand, ask about it.
- Do not expect to be able to start and finish your homework assignments during a single workshop.
- Do not expect to get individual attention the entire time you are in workshop, other students may also have questions for the alchemists.
- Bring coursework or homework to work on while the alchemist is assisting other students.
- The alchemists are here to help you succeed, not to do your coursework for you. They will not do problems for you or just give you answers.
- Attend workshop with classmates so that you can share ideas and work together.