In 2010, then-President Rebecca Chopp signed the American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment (now the Carbon Leadership Commitment), joining the leaders of institutions of higher education across the country in accelerating educational and operational efforts to address climate change. To date, Swarthmore College has taken the following actions to fulfill its commitment:
- Coordinated a greenhouse gas inventory. Read the full report [pdf].
- Convened a Climate Action Planning Committee to develop a Climate Action Plan [pdf] for the College.
- Continued the work of the Sustainability Committee to implement actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve the sustainable operations of the College.
- Developed a comprehensive report to the President on the College's sustainability initiatives, successes, and challenges.
- Launched an Environmental Sustainability Framework as a set of guidelines for capital projects and facilities operations.
- Signed the American Campuses Act on Climate Pledge hosted by the White House. See the publicly released Fact Sheet and Swarthmore's Pledge [pdf].