Skip to main content

Student Refunds

When a student account has a credit balance created by an over-payment and/or disbursement of financial aid, a student is eligible for a refund. If the overage resulted from disbursed Federal funds; such as Direct Stafford Loans, Direct Plus Loans, Perkins Loans, Pell Grants or a Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), the refund will be processed routinely. To request a refund from your student account, please email your request to Student Accounts.

NOTE: Students whose PLUS loan applications indicated the refund should be issued to the parent borrower will have their refunds issued by check, made payable to the parent borrower.

The Student Accounts Office processes refunds (at least) once a week, and the Business Office distributes them either as a paper check or direct deposit (if currently enrolled) to a student’s checking or savings account. Paper checks are mailed to your campus mailbox (unless otherwise directed) and Direct Deposit statements are emailed to you once your refund has been processed.


If you are currently on Student Payroll, you are already enrolled for Direct Deposit for student refunds as well (and will automatically receive any refund via Direct Deposit).

If you are not currently on Student Payroll and wish to enroll for Direct Deposit for student refunds (or want to verify your current Direct Deposit enrollment status) please login to mySwarthmore and click General Information and Direct Deposit.  If you are already enrolled for Direct Deposit, your current account information will appear.  If any of the information is incorrect (or you are not currently enrolled for Direct Deposit) please complete a new “Direct Deposit Authorization Form” and submit the form to Deb Casteel in the Business Office.