Language Placement Tests
Arabic placement exams are taken on the first day of classes.
Japanese, Chinese, French, and German placement tests are offered online.
- First-year students will receive an email from the Dean's Office when the testing is available (late July). After receiving this notice, the student must login to mySwarthmore from Swarthmore's student web page and and select New Student Forms, then select the Forms due August 10 tab, and then select the Language Placement tab for access and detailed instructions. It is important that students complete the language survey that appears at the beginning of the test. Upon completion of the exam, students can register in the designated course during the registration period, unless an oral interview is required. If an oral interview and additional testing is required, it is typically scheduled on the Wednesday of orientation.
- Upper-class students interested in taking placement exams should contact Sue McCarthy or Bethanne Seufert for information and instructions.
- Students who have French/German AP/IB are also required to take the online placement exam.
- The French/German Online Placement Test is not a substitute for an official standard achievement test of a foreign language (such as the College Board exam or the International Baccalaureate). Therefore, it does not serve as proof of achievement for the purpose of fulfilling the language requirement. This exam is only intended to assist instructors in placing students in the appropriate Swarthmore course.
- For additional information on placement visit each program's website.
Russian students are asked to consult with the Russian Section Head if they need to be placed.
For additional information on Spanish, visit the Department of Spanish website.