Seeking Campus Housing from Study Abroad

For Students Who are Currently or Intending to Study Abroad:

For students that are currently studying abroad, you have the following options to consider regarding housing when you return.  The Office of Student Engagement will be in touch with all Fall abroad students in the beginning of November, and Spring abroad students in the middle of March.  Please look at each of these options, depending on what you are interested in doing:

Option 1: You will participate in the December/Spring Housing Lottery or Spring Blocking (Fall abroad not eligible for Blocking)
Option 2: You want to be "Pulled-In" to a room with a friend (Fall abroad students only)
Option 3: You are interested in living Off-Campus

Option 1: December/Spring Housing Lottery & Blocking 

The Blocking process only occurs during the Spring Housing Lottery (those abroad in Fall Semester cannot block).  If you are interested in Blocking, and you are abroad in the Spring Semester, first, review all information on the following site: Blocking Process.  As an abroad student, you will need to have someone on campus ensure that they can write your name down on the Blocking Application on your behalf.  

If you are interested in choosing a room via the Housing Lottery,  the first step you should do is you must identify a proxy who can select a room for you during the December or Spring Housing Lottery.  It is your responsibility to make sure your proxy knows your room preferences and is comfortable selecting a room on your behalf. Your selected proxy will then attend the December or Spring Housing Lottery to choose a room for you based on your lottery number.  You do not need to know the name of your proxy ahead of time nor do you need to select housing before you leave; weeks before the lotteries, proxies will register with the Office of Student Engagement.  Please make sure that you pick a reliable person to be your proxy, and they make sure to read emails sent from the Office of Student Engagement regarding housing selection.  Eligibility for housing will be based on the official list from the Registrar's Office.  After the Housing Lottery, it is the responsibility of the proxy to communicate the room selection to the abroad student, but any students who are abroad are welcomed to contact the Office of Student Engagement with any questions regarding their room assignment.  All information regarding the housing lotteries can be found on the following site: Housing Lotteries.

The 2018 December Housing Lottery will be held on Tuesday, December 11, 5:00-6:00pm EST in Science Center 101

You can register your proxy by going to the Proxy Registration Form.


Option 2: Being "Pulled-In" to an Available Room (only applies to students abroad during Fall Semester):

For any rooms that are partially-vacant (e.g. a double with one vacancy, or a quad with two vacancies), you can be "pulled-in" to live in these rooms and forego participating in the December Lottery.  This is a popular option if you know of a friend you want to live with when you return.  If you are interested in being "pulled-in" an available room for the upcoming semester, the first step you should do is identify the room that you want to be "pulled-in" to.  Either you, or a proxy of your choice, should communicate with the individual in the room that you want to be "pulled-in" to.  Then, both the student with the vacancy, and EITHER you or your proxy, will email Isaiah Thomas, Assistant Director of Residential Communities, stating the desired rooming option.  The Assistant Director will communicate with all pairings to confirm that the abroad students has successfully been "pulled-in".  Once you have been "pulled-in" you and your proxy will not participate in any housing lotteries--you're all set!  

Please note: With the exception of PPR Apartment Singles and Singles that are directly connected to each other, Stand-alone single rooms are NOT available for this option.  This means that if there is an available single within an existing block, a current student CANNOT "pull-in" an abroad student to that space.  This also means that if you have a friend who is currently in a single, they cannot reserve or hold that room for another student.  If you want a single room, you will have to participate in the December/Spring housing lottery, as all single rooms are available in those processes.

Option 3: Living Off-Campus

If you are interested in living Off-Campus, you MUST complete the "Intent to Live Off-Campus" Form.  There are strict dates to when this form must be completed, and fines may apply if the deadlines are not followed.  More information regarding living off-campus can be found on the following site: Living Off-Campus


Any General Questions about Housing or if you currently have or seeking housing accommodations, contact Isaiah Thomas, Director of Residential Communities