Dorm Closing Fall 2014
As a **friendly reminder**, please note that ALL residence halls close at 6pm on SATURDAY, December 20th. If you are flying out on Sunday, you can be granted an exception and stay in your dorm room until 9am on SUNDAY, December 21st BUT you must register so that we know that you are here. This form will take 1 minute to fill out; if you plan on staying until Sunday morning, you must fill it out! The exterior locks of the buildings are changed on Sunday morning and heat is turned off…so you really must leave this weekend!
For safety, security, and facility reasons, we are not able to grant any move-out extensions past 9am. We are sorry that we are not able to accommodate these requests. Any student found in the dorms after closing is subject to fines and removal from the building.
If you are still on-campus, please read through the following reminders about leaving the dorms for winter break and add them to your to-do list:
1) Dorm Closing: please note that ALL residence halls close at 6pm on SATURDAY, December 20th. If you are flying out on Sunday, you can be granted an exception and stay in your dorm room until 9am on SUNDAY, December 21st BUT you must register so that we know that you are here.
2) Make sure your windows are Closed and Locked. Many of the dorm windows open on the top and the bottom, so check to make sure that the top window pane is not open.
3) 'Mouse-proof' your room (take out all trash, dispose of any food not in a very thick plastic container, pick up papers/books from your floor). Do not leave anything edible in your room (not even tea or candy)...you will come back to find pests in your room!! Unwanted guests are really difficult to control once they have arrived. If you leave ANY food or beverage unsecured in your dorm room over the break, you WILL return to find that you have new roommates: pests! This is not an exaggeration...every year we have a few students who forget to throw away their food before they leave for the break, and they return to a disaster of a room. Mice and roaches are hard to control when they have 4 weeks in the dorms, undisrupted. You can absolutely minimize your risk by removing ALL food. This includes throwing out your trash...don't leave your trash can full of stuff...take it to the common trash area. I cannot stress this enough...all food has to be removed.
4) Take home or otherwise remove any prohibited items from your dorm room (ex. space heaters, candles, incense, pets, etc.)
5) Return ALL items that belong to the dining hall (cups, plates, cutlery, etc.) [Each year, the College spends a significant amount of money to replace items not returned to the dining hall. Please help do your part and return all items before you leave]
5) Lock your door on your way out. Take your keys with you.
6) Not returning Spring 2015? If you are not returning to on-campus housing for the Spring term, make sure to return your key to Key Central in the Facilities & Services building. A 24-hour key drop-box is available at that location. Also, be on the look-out for an email from Isaiah Thomas on move-out instructions.
7) Don't forget that ALL rooms will be checked by College staff during the break for health and safety inspections (check smoke detectors, make sure windows are closed, etc.). Any prohibited items found in student rooms will be assigned appropriate fines. If you have an item in your room that is prohibited, it needs to be removed before you leave (for example, if you have candles in your room, you should take those items home and leave them there!)
8) Take what you need: medications, passport, money, ID, keys, that book you want to read over break, laptop, anything of significant value. I know it sounds silly, but during each break we get frantic calls from students who have forgotten important items---make a list! Think ahead about what you will need over the break, and make sure you take it with you.
9) See you soon: Residence Halls open for the Spring term on Saturday, January 17th