Skip to main content

External Credit

Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate

The History Department will automatically grant one credit to students who have achieved a score of 4 or 5 in the U.S., European, or World History Advanced Placement examinations (or a score of 6 or 7 in the International Baccalaureate examinations) once they have completed any history course number HIST 001 to HIST 010 and earned a grade of C or higher. Students who want credit for a second Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate examination (in a different area of history) must take a second history course at Swarthmore (any course number, including CLAS 031, 032, 042, 044, 056, or 066) and earn a grade of C or higher. The History Department will grant up to two credits for Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate work. Beginning with the Class of 2014, only one credit from AP/IB will count toward the 9 credits required for the history major.

A score of 4 or 5 for Advanced Placement (or a score of 6 or 7 for International Baccalaureate) allows students to take some upper-division courses in the History Department.

Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate credit may be counted toward the number of courses required for graduation and may be used to help fulfill the College's distribution requirements.

Off-Campus Study

The History Department encourages students to pursue the study of history abroad and grants credit for such study as appropriate. We believe that history majors should master a foreign language as well as immerse themselves in a foreign culture and society. To receive Swarthmore credit for history courses taken during study abroad, a student must have departmental preapproval and have taken at least one history course at Swarthmore (normally before going abroad). Students who want to receive credit for a second course taken abroad must take a second history course at Swarthmore. Students must receive a grade of C or higher to receive history credit at Swarthmore.

Upon return, we expect that you have all of the necessary materials. You will hand them in or scan and send them to our department administrative assistant after completing Off-Campus Study's necessary forms.

transfer credit

The History Department does not grant credit for any history courses taken at other U.S. colleges and universities except courses at Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and the University of Pennsylvania while a registered Swarthmore student.