All special majors must have a designated faculty advisor and the approval of the Chair for the proposed program.
- Within your approved program, at least 5.5 credits must be taken in the Department, including one introductory course (POLS 002, POLS 003, POLS 004) and at least a course in each of the four sub-fields (American Politics, Comparative Politics, International Politics, and Political Theory). The Political Theory distribution requirement can only be met by completing one of the following: POLS 011, POLS 012, POLS 100 or POLS 101.
- All special course majors are required to participate in the Department's Senior Comprehensive Exercise (POLS 092) for 0.5 credit.
- All applicants must have completed one introductory course and one other course in the Department before applying for the Special Major.
- None of the credits needed to complete the major may be taken CR/NC; shadow grades for introductory courses taken CR/NC freshman year will be used for GPA purposes.
- For acceptance as a special major, the Department expects performance at the 3.00 level in all College courses and at the 3.33 level in courses in Political Science (including courses graded Credit/No Credit).
- Majors and minors may take one directed reading within the Department for credit with the approval from the faculty directing the read and the Department Chair.
Special Major: Political Science & Educational Studies
Please read the requirements for Special Major and Individualized Special Major, including honors, on the Registrar's webpage https://www.swarthmore.edu/registrar/special-majors