Please see hyperlinks below for specific special major requirements.
All special majors must have a designated faculty adviser and the approval of the Chair for the proposed program. Within that approved program, at least 5.5 credits must be taken in the Department, including one introductory course (POLS 002, POLS 003, POLS 004) and at least a course in each of the four sub-fields (American Politics, Comparative Politics, International Politics, and Political Theory). The Political Theory distribution requirement can only be met by completing one of the following: POLS 011, POLS 012, POLS 100 or POLS 101. All special course majors are required to participate in the Department's Senior Comprehensive Exercise for 0.5 credit.
- All applicants must have completed one introductory course and one other course in the Department before applying for the Special Major.
- None of the credits needed to complete the major may be taken CR/NC; shadow grades for introductory courses taken CR/NC freshman year will be used for GPA purposes.
- For acceptance as a special major, the Department expects performance at the 3.00 level in all College courses and at the 3.33 level in courses in Political Science (including courses graded Credit/No Credit).
- Majors and minors may take one directed reading within the Department for credit with the approval from the faculty directing the read and the Department Chair.
Specific Special Major Requirements
Politics, Philosophy, & Economics- PPE (There are 4 breakdowns of requirements in this document, please see below. You must be logged in with your Swarthmore email to view this document)
- PPE- Political Science Based
- PPE- Philosophy Based
- PPE- Honors, Political Science Based
- PPE- Honors, Philosophy Based
Please read the requirements for Special Major and Individualized Special Major, including honors, on the Registrar's webpage https://www.swarthmore.edu/registrar/special-majors