Spanish and Educational Studies
The Department of Spanish and the Department of Educational Studies prepare students who wish to pursue a special major in Spanish and Educational Studies, and also those who are seeking PreK-12 certification to teach Spanish in primary and secondary schools in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The following courses of studies are available:
- Course Special Major in Spanish and Educational Studies
- Course Special Major in Spanish and Educational Studies with PA Spanish Teacher Certification
- Course Major in Spanish, and Educational Studies Minor with PA Spanish Teacher Certification
Students can also seek PreK-12 Spanish certification without the need to pursue a special major, or major/minor in either department, as long as they take the required Spanish and Educational Studies courses.
- For further information about the relevant requirements, please refer to the academic requirements chart that appears below, and read the section PA Teacher Certification on the Educational Studies Department website (which also discusses how students can explore whether PA certification will transfer to other states).
Review department specific requirements for Spanish & Educational Studies [pdf].
Special Major in Linguistics & Languages
- 3 credits numbered above 022.
- One of the 3 credits must be SPAN 022 or SPAN 023 but not both.
- Courses in translation will not count towards the fulfillment of the 3-credit requirement.
- In special circumstances, by permission of the Department of Spanish, one of the intermediate courses (SPAN 008 or SPAN 012) could count toward the 3-credit requirement.
- If the student is pursuing off-campus study in a Spanish speaking country, only one literature course taken abroad that pertains to the curriculum of the Department of Spanish may count toward fulfillment of the three-credit requirement. For full immersion, all courses taken abroad must be taken in Spanish. (Advanced language courses taken abroad may receive Spanish credit but will not count toward the special major's three-credit requirement.)
Review department specific requirements for Special Major in Linguistics & Languages [pdf].