Postdoctoral Fellowship, BMBCB, Northwestern University
Ph.D., Chemistry, University of Arizona
Honors Diploma, Chemistry, Chernivtsi State University, Ukraine
I teach Inorganic Chemistry (Chem 56) and an advanced seminar Topics in Bioinorganic Chemistry (Chem 106). In addition, I teach a General Chemistry Honors Course (Chem 10HN) and Advanced Integrated Experimental Chemistry (Chem 57) as well as laboratories in Biological (Chem 38L) and Organic Chemistry II (Chem 32L).
My laboratory focuses on the design, synthesis, and characterization of novel porphyrin-based antitumor drugs that function via inhibition of telomerase. The students will be exposed to various aspects of bioinorganic chemistry. They will get an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience in a broad range of techniques with multiple applications. These include basic and advanced synthetic skills, DNA manipulation, small molecules crystallization, collection/analysis of crystallographic data, and application of spectroscopic techniques (UV-vis, NMR, and CD) to characterization of porphyrin and porphyrin-G-quadruplex DNA interactions. The long term goal of the research is to contribute to the development of more potent porphyrin-based telomerase inhibitors.
Recent Publications (Swarthmore undergraduate co-authors underlined)
1. Guédin, A.; Lin, Y.; Armane, S.; Mergny, J. -L.; Thore, S.; Yatsunyk, L. A. Crystal structure of G-rich sequence from the Dictyostelium discoideum genome: a four quartet G-quadruplex accepted in Nucleic Acids Research (first two co-authors contributed equally)
2. Shastri, N.; Tsai, Y.; Hile, S.; Dose, M.; Maloney, D.; Chen, J.; Jordan, D.; Powell, B.; Anastassiadis, T.; Smith, K. D.; Rivera, O.; Finn, D.; Schug, J.; Casellas, R.; Yatsunyk, L. A.; Eckert, K. A.; and Brown, E. J. Replication fork collapse from ATR inhibition is regulated by novel structure-forming repeats 2017 in review in Molecular Cell
3. Kerkour A.; Marquevielle, J.; Ivashchenko, S.; Yatsunyk, L. A., Mergny, J.-L.; Salgado, G. “High-resolution 3D NMR structure of the KRAS proto-oncogene promoter reveals key features of a G-quadruplex involved in transcriptional regulation” J. Biol. Chem. 2017, 292(19), 8082-8091.
4. Ruan, T.; Davis, S.; Powell, B.; Harbeck, C.; Habdas, J.; Habdas, P.; Yatsunyk, L. A. “Lowering the overall charge on TMPyP4 improves its selectivity for G-quadruplex DNA” Biochimie 2017, 132, 121-130.
5. Boschi, E.; Davis, S.; Taylor, S.; Butterworth, A.; Chirayath, L. A.; Purohit, V.; Siegel, L. K.; Buenaventura, J.; Sheriff, A. H.; Jin, R.; Sheardy, R.; Yatsunyk, L. A.; and Azam, M. “Interaction of a cationic porphyrin and its metal derivatives with G-quadruplex DNA” J. Phys. Chem. B 2016, 120 (50), 12807-12819 (equal contribution of two last authors).
6. Yatsunyk, L. A., Monchaud, D., and Sen, D. "Blending Quadruplexes and Bordeaux: a Grand Cru! The 5th International Meeting on Quadruplex Nucleic Acids, Bordeaux (France)" Cell Chem. Bio. 2016, 23(3), 320-329.
7. Sabharwal, N.C.; Mendoza, O.; Nicoludis, J. M.; Ruan, T.; Mergny, J. -L. Yatsunyk, L. A. “Investigation of the interactions between Pt(II) and Pd(II) derivatives of 5,10,15,20-tetrakis (N-methyl-4-pyridyl) porphyrin and G-Quadruplex DNA” J Biol. Inorg. Chem. 2016, 21(2), 227-239.