Interlibrary Loan Policies for Outside Libraries
The Swarthmore College Libraries InterLibrary Loan Department will process loans from:
- McCabe Library
- Cornell Science Library
- Underhill Music & Dance Library.
Please contact the Peace Collection directly with inquiries. They consider loaning microfilm as well as photocopies of newspapers, journals, and pamphlets.
The Friends' Historical Library generally does not loan its materials, but you are welcome to contact them directly with inquiries.
- Requesting Items
Swarthmore participates in OCLC WCRS (symbol PSC) and RapidILL.
We also accept ALA forms sent via:
- mail: ILL Department, McCabe Library, Swarthmore College, 500 College Ave., Swarthmore, PA 19081
- fax: 610.690.5782
- email email@example.com
- Shipping Information
Average turnaround time is 2-5 working days (excluding shipping time.) We use UPS/IDS for member libraries. For non-members we ship most books via Library Mail, and all media (CDs, DVDs, LPs, VHS, Microforms) via First Class.
- Loan periods and packing requirements
- Books: 60 days, with one 30-day renewal available for most items.
- Videos and DVDs: 35 days. These items must be returned in a box. Some CDs and LPs require replacement cost insurance and return via FedEx or UPS.
- Microforms: 35 days. We will lend up to six reels at a time per request. We generally do not provide copies from microforms, but will do so in special circumstances.
- CDs and LPs: 35 days. These items must be returned in a box. Some CDs and LPs require replacement cost insurance and return via FedEx or UPS.
- Journals: We do not lend unbound journal issues. Bound volumes may be loaned during the summer months, for a maximum of two weeks.
- Multiple copies: We will copy only one article/chapter per request. Multiple articles/chapters require multiple requests.
Multiple volumes: We will lend up to five volumes per request for multi-volume loan requests.
- Group Memberships
- LVIS Libraries
- SHARES Libraries
- The Oberlin Group
- RAPID Libraries, pods:
- E-Z Borrow
- We will lend to non E-Z Borrow libraries at no charge if you reciprocate!
- Non-reciprocal academic and public libraries: $15 per loan or copy
- Corporate libraries: $25 per loan or copy.
We prefer to bill via IFM; we will invoice.
- Loans to Libraries outside the US
If possible, we will provide copies and loans to libraries outside the United States. Fees will depend on the borrowing library's status. In most cases, we charge at least the cost of postage. All items are shipped via United States Postal Service, air mail.
- Contact Information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 610-328-7822 or 610-328-8491
- Fax: 610-690-5782
- Ariel: 220.127.116.11
- Mailing Address: ILL Department, McCabe Library, Swarthmore College, 500 College Ave., Swarthmore, PA 19081