Swarthmore College Special Collections, including the Friends Historical Library, the Peace Collection, and the College Archives, are open by appointment only.
- Visiting researchers should use this form to schedule an appointment and to learn about Covid-19 safety protocols.
- Members of the Swarthmore community may book an appointment directly here.
- How to Find the Library
Friends Historical Library is located on the main floor of McCabe Library on the Swarthmore College campus on Route 320 in the Borough of Swarthmore. The McCabe Library Building is located at the center of the campus. It is a large, stone building with long, narrow windows and a mansard roof.
Use resources available on the Swarthmore College website's Visit Swarthmore section for campus maps, driving directions and parking information.
- Overnight Accommodations and Dining
Need to stay overnight near Swarthmore? Located just a few minutes from the College, Pendle Hill is a Quaker study, retreat, and conference center welcoming all for Spirit-led learning and community. Their bed & breakfast service is perfect for short stays. Some of our visitors working on larger research projects choose Pendle Hill for longer-term sabbatical or personal retreat accommodations. Visit Pendle Hill website
- Find additional options for accommodations on the Swarthmore College Local Lodging page
- Find recommendations for dining, both on campus and at local restaurants and eateries on the Swarthmore College Local Dining page.
- Internet Access
Visitors to the Friends Historical Library will have access to the wireless network SwatGuest. This is a self-service network; simply open your browser and follow the prompts to create a guest account. Consult this guide for more information.
- Reading Room Resources
See our Research Support page to learn more about taking photographs, making photocopies, and using microfilm readers.