Studying abroad is both an enriching intellectual experience and an opportunity for personal growth: immersion in a foreign culture offers an unmatched means to improve your language skills, and daily life within a foreign community provides leadership experience and cultural breadth essential for the increasingly connected global community. Students, specialists as well as non-specialists, are strongly encouraged to spend at least one semester studying outside the United States.
Study abroad programs are integral to the French and Francophone academic program: French majors must attend a pre-approved semester-long program in a Francophone country; minors are strongly encouraged to attend a semester-long program or at least a pre-approved six-week summer program in a Francophone country. We work closely with each student to understand academic interests and personal goals, and attempt to identify the program that best suits those needs.
PRE-APPROVED SEMESTER-LONG PROGRAMS IN A FRANCOPHONE COUNTRY
- All students may receive up to three credits for studying abroad, but to receive more than one credit the student must take at least one one-credit course in French at Swarthmore immediately upon return. This includes credits given for language instruction. Students should be aware that most study abroad programs require an advance level of French for admission, equivalent to French 15.
- Majors may count up to three credits taken abroad towards satisfying their course requirements; minors may count up to two credits taken abroad towards satisfying their course requirements. These credits may not serve as the base for a major or minor Honors preparation.
Programs in France
- Academic Programs Abroad, Paris
- Internships in Francophone Europe (Paris, Strasbourg and Brussels)
- Middlebury - Bordeaux, Paris, Poitiers
- Smith College in Paris (full year only)
- Sweet Briar JYF in Paris
- Vassar-Wesleyan in Paris
- Wellesley in Aix
Programs in West Africa / North Africa
- Middlebury - Cameroon
- CIEE - Dakar: Development Studies
- SIT - Dakar: National Identity and the Arts
- SIT Study - Morocco: Migration and Transnational Identity
SEMESTER PROGRAMS ABROAD IN A NON-FRANCOPHONE COUNTRY
The French section will grant a maximum of one credit for a course taken abroad, upon completion of a one credit course in the French section at Swarthmore, taken immediately upon their return. This credit will not count towards major or minor requirements.
PRE-APPROVED 6-WEEK SUMMER PROGRAMS IN A FRANCOPHONE COUNTRY
- The French section will grant all students a maximum of one credit for a course taken abroad, upon completion of a one credit course in French, taken at Swarthmore immediately upon their return.
- Only course minors may count this credit toward completion of the course requirements.
- Bryn Mawr in Avignon (Summer) For students with the equivalent of three years of college French.