NIST SURF stands for the National Institute of Standards and Technology Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship. Students intern at NIST labs located in either Gaithersburg, MD or Boulder, CO. Students must be undergraduates at a U.S. university or college with a scientific major, have a G.P.A. of 3.0 or better, and are considering pursuing a graduate degree (M.S. or Ph.D.). Students with physics, material science, chemistry, applied mathematics, computer science, or engineering majors are encouraged to apply. There may be research opportunities for students with other majors.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident
- Undergraduates ONLY
- G.P.A. of 3.0 or better
- Are considering pursuing a graduate degree (M.S. or Ph.D)
December 1, 2017
How to Apply:
Visit the NIST SURF web site to obtain access to an application. Turn in all the following materials to Parrish 115 or 119 by the internal deadline, above:
- Current Resume/CV
- Transcript (unofficial transcripts only)
- Two letters of recommendation -- Recommenders should email their letters to email@example.com
- Letter of intent or personal statement
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
Fellowships and Prizes Committee reviews all materials and determines nominations. If you are nominated your materials will be forwarded to NIST SURF for further consideration.
Please note: You may apply to both the Gaithersburg and Boulder programs; however, if you win both you can only select one.