Up to twelve scholarships are awarded annually to support one year of graduate study in any discipline offered by an institution of higher learning in Ireland or Northern Ireland.
- U.S. citizenship
- Must be 18 years of age or older but NOT yet 30 on October 1 of the year of application
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study under the Mitchell Scholarship
- Evidence of academic achievement, leadership, and public service
September 7, 2018
How to Apply
Follow the link below to register on the Mitchell web site and gain access to an official application. Complete the application on-line and turn in all the following materials to Parrish 115 & 119 by the internal deadline, above:
- 1,000 word personal statement
- Five letters of recommendation. Recommenders must complete their letters on-line. In addition, please ask them to email their letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Transcript: The Fellowships and Prizes Office will obtain an unofficial copy of your college transcript; however, if you are selected as one of Swarthmore's nominees, you will need to secure an official transcript from the Registrar's Office.
- After submitting your application materials, you will be interviewed in person (or by telephone if you are unavailable in person) by members of the Fellowships and Prizes Committee.
- When all interviews are completed, the committee will select Swarthmore's nominees and notify you of your status.
- You will have an opportunity to make final revisions to your application before submitting it on-line. The national deadline is in early October.
- Within several weeks, Mitchell will notify you to tell you if you have been selected to interview. Shortly after the regional interviews, you will be told whether or not you have won a Mitchell Scholarship.