For outstanding sophomores or juniors who have a career interest in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering. Over 400 scholarships were distributed in 2021. The Goldwater provides for undergraduate college expenses up to $7,500 annually. Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher and demonstrated background in scientific research.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Open to sophomores and juniors ONLY.
- Minimum grade point average equivalent to a "B."
December 6, 2021, 11:59 pm ET
How to Apply
Visit the Goldwater web site below to register and obtain access to an application. (The online application opens on September 7, 2021.) The application includes:
- Short answer questions on future academic and professional goals.
- Research essay.
- Three (3) letters of recommendations. The recommendations should be from a faculty member who can discuss the nominee's potential for a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering; a faculty member in the nominee's field of study; and another individual/faculty member who can attest to the nominee's potential.
- The Fellowships and Prizes Committee reviews all applications.
- All candidates are interviewed by the Committee.
- Based on application materials, interviews, and recommendations, the Committee selects four nominees. The nominees will have an opportunity to revise their essays prior to Goldwater's national deadline of January 28.
- Final selections are made in early spring.