Chemistry and Biochemistry Research Opportunities***Updates in process. Please check back soon for finalized 2022-2023 Research Application Procedures.
1. Watch Faculty Research videos: The five faculty members with openings in their research labs (Fera, Graves, Howard, Stephenson and Yatsunyk) have prepared short overview videos of their research. The videos are linked to the following page.
2. Check out the Research web page for faculty member which interests you. (See links to Faculty Profiles on Department Faculty Page). Look through the websites and check out current publications. It might also be helpful to reach out to current and prior students who worked in the lab to hear about their experiences.
3. Think about your availability for working in a research lab. You will be given an opportunity to select Spring semester 2022, 10-week research session for Summer 2022 or the 2022-2023 academic year. Due to ongoing pandemic restrictions, this information may be updated at a later time. Please check back.
4. Email the faculty member(s) you are interested in and set up a time to Zoom with them to hear more details.
5. Based on your conversations with faculty, examination of research lab website, recent papers and discussions with current research students, pick faculty members you are interested in working with and follow the directions below to fill out the online application.
6. Download an unofficial PDF copy of your transcript from MySwarthmore. You will be asked to upload this as part of your online application procedure.
7. Follow this link to the online application form for joining a research group. You will be asked to login using your Swarthmore username and password to access the application. You must complete the online application by 11:59 pm on Friday, January 14th https://swarthmore.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0rmMGarmcijXe73
Assignment of Students to Research Groups
Chemistry/Biochemistry faculty members meet as a group to look over all the submitted applications. You will receive feedback about the availability of research positions during the last week of January 2022. After the internal Chemistry and Biochemistry application process is complete, there is a college wide summer fellowship process you will need to complete if you are invited to join a lab. The deadlines for the college wide summer applications are set by the Provost's office.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A document containing some links for finding off-campus research positions can be found here: Off Campus STEM Research Opportunties