As you know, Karl Clauss left Swarthmore at the conclusion of the Changing Lives, Changing the World campaign in late June to return to his alma mater, Colgate University, as Vice President for Advancement. Liam McAlpine has been serving ably as Interim Vice President, and I am grateful for his leadership, especially as we seek to engage alumni, parents, and donors virtually in the context of the pandemic.
I write now to inform you that we are about to undertake a national search for Swarthmore’s next Vice President for Advancement. The following individuals have agreed to serve on the search committee:
- Rhonda Cohen ’76, Board of Managers
- Thom Collins ’88, Board of Managers
- Andy Hirsch, Vice President for Communications
- Landry Kosmalski, Head Coach, Men’s Basketball
- Dave McElhinny ’75, Board of Managers
- Nicole Odim ’88, Board of Managers
- Valerie Smith, President (chair)
- Amy Cheng Vollmer, Isaac H. Clothier, Jr. Professor of Biology
We have engaged Esther Rosenberg of Howe-Lewis International as the consultant for this search, and Ed Rowe, Chief of Staff and Secretary of the College, will provide staff support to the committee. We will consult with other members of the on-campus and off-campus community during this process, and I look forward to sharing updates with you as we work to fill this critically important position.