The goal of the course minor in dance is to expose a student to the broad scope of the field. The distribution of required courses for the minor provides students with an introduction to Dance Studies and Choreography and allows them to direct their final credit(s) in the minor toward one of these two areas. Minors will be encouraged, but not required, to develop an extended paper or a dance performance piece as part of their program. All dance minors are strongly encouraged to participate in technique and repertory classes each semester.
All Minors will design their programs in consultation with a faculty advisor.
Requirements for Admission to the Minor (to be completed in the first two years of study):
1. Overall average of C or better in all courses taken during the two semesters preceding the time of application.
2. Completion of one course in dance studies at Swarthmore with a grade of B or better.
3. Completion of at least one .5 credit course in Dance Technique or Repertory/Ensemble
*Although Technique and Repertory courses can be repeated for credit, students can only apply a course once towards the Minor requirements.
Requirements for the Minor - Dance Studies focus:
1. Three Dance Studies courses
a. One course from: DANC 021 or 022
b. One course from: DANC 004 or 025
c. One Dance Studies elective course
2. Additional elective courses (totaling 2.5 credits) proposed by the student and approved on an individual basis by the faculty from a combination of dance studies, choreography, technique, and repertory/ensemble courses.*
Total credits for Minor – Dance Studies focus: 5.5
Requirements for the Minor - Choreography focus:
1. DANC 011. Dance Lab I: Making Dance
2. Two Dance Studies courses
a. One course from: DANC 004, 021, 022, or 025
b. One Dance Studies elective course
3. One .5 credit Dance Repertory/Ensemble course
4. Two .5 credit Technique courses from two of the three categories below (totaling 1 credit):
a. DANC 040, 041, 050, 051, 051A, 060, 061, 061A, or 070
b. DANC 043, 044, or 054
c. DANC 042, 046, 056, or 057
5. Additional elective courses (totaling 1 credit) proposed by the student and approved on an individual basis by the faculty from a combination of dance studies, choreography, technique, and repertory/ensemble courses.
Total credits for Minor – Choreography focus: 5.5
Requirements for the Minor - Performance focus:
The Minor – Performance focus is currently on hold. Minors in the classes of 2021 and 2022 should refer to the 2019-2020 College Bulletin or consult with their advisor for guidance.