Swatlight and Swatstruck
Swarthmore's admitted student days
What is Swatlight?
April 13 & 20, 2023
In keeping with our commitment to access, Swatlight is an all-expenses paid trip to Swarthmore for admitted students who are first in their families to attend college, students who come from low-income backgrounds, or students who have experienced opportunity gaps or barriers. Swatlight attendees arrive on campus a day prior to Swatstruck and stay overnight with student hosts, hearing from the many voices that comprise our extraordinary, diverse community.
Swatlight events range from panels and information sessions from offices that support first-gen, low-income and others as well as social events and meals to connect students with communities across campus. Swatlight attendees will then attend Swatstruck programming the next day.
What is Swatstruck?
April 14 & 21, 2023
Swatstruck is a one-day program that welcomes all admitted students and their families to campus to experience our community firsthand. With campus tours, open houses, and opportunities to meet faculty and current Swatties, Swatstruck gives future Swatties a chance to really get a feel for life at Swarthmore.
Swatstruck is also at the same time as campuswide activity fairs and College traditions. We hope you’ll join us to cheer on or participate in the famed Crum Regatta (April 14, 3:30 pm) and McCabe Mile (April 21, 3:30 pm).
Five Ways to Welcome Admitted Students and Families
- Say hi! Rooted in our founding values of open dialogue, simply saying hello to an admitted student or family can go a long way towards making them feel like they belong here. And who knows, you may strike up a life-changing conversation!
- Share your “Why Swarthmore” story. Admitted students and families travel to our campus not only to see what it looks like, but to learn about the people that make this place special. Whether you’re a student, staff, or faculty member, be open to sharing what you love about being part of this community.
- Ask if you can help. Visiting a new college can be overwhelming, so if you notice someone looking lost or confused, don’t hesitate to ask if they need some help – even if that’s simply referring them to campusmap.swarthmore.edu, our online campus map.
Speaking of our campus, we’re laying the groundwork for spaces and infrastructure that will allow us to live into our mission to educate the whole person and steward our resources toward a more sustainable future. If you haven’t done so already, take a few minutes to get caught up on our campus construction highlights so you can answer any construction-related questions you may receive.
- Sail the Crum. Cheer on McCabe runners. You probably already know the Crum Regatta and the McCabe Mile, two of our campus’ most unique traditions, are coming up, but did you also know they coincide with Swatstruck? What better way to show off our school’s unique personality than attending these beloved events?
- Wear your Swarthmore gear! From simply throwing on your Swarthmore cap to going head-to-toe Garnet, now’s the perfect time to flaunt some Swarthmore pride.