Spanish Placement Test
The Spanish Placement Test is in an online multiple-choice format, which allows you to take it at your convenience. It consists of questions on vocabulary, grammar and reading comprehension. There is no oral or listening part to this online test. Since it is an adaptive test, the length will vary from one person to another, with an average time of twenty minutes.
Immediately upon completion of the test, you will receive a score and placement recommendation. You may register in the designated course during the registration period, unless an oral interview is required.
It is important to emphasize that the online placement test and survey are for diagnostic purposes only. These diagnostic tools may be supplemented by your instructor's evaluation during the first week of classes, at which time he or she may recommend a change of course level.
The test must represent your own work. When taking it, you will be bound by Swarthmore College's Code of Academic and Personal Integrity. You may take this test only once. Please remember to complete the language survey that appears at the beginning of the test.
- First-year students must login to mySwarthmore and click on the Placement exam tab for access and detailed instructions. It is important that students complete the language survey that appears at the beginning of the test. Upon completion of the exam, students can register in the designated course during the registration period, unless an oral interview is required.
- Upper-class students interested in taking the test should contact the Spanish program for information and instructions (firstname.lastname@example.org or (610) 328-8143).
The Spanish Placement Test is not a substitute for an official standard achievement test of a foreign language (such as the College Board exams or the International Baccalaureate). Therefore, it does not serve as proof of achievement for the purpose of fulfilling the language requirement. This test is only intended to assist instructors in placing students in the appropriate Spanish courses at Swarthmore.
The Spanish Placement Test is required for all students, including students with AP/IB scores.
Should you have any technical questions about your placement test, please contact the Language Resource Center (email@example.com).
For questions regarding your score and placement, or to schedule an oral interview, please consult the Spanish section head.
Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
Students who have Spanish AP (Spanish Language and Culture and/or Spanish Literature and Culture) or IB scores must:
- Take the online placement test;
- Complete the language survey that appears at the beginning of the test;
- Register in the designated course during the registration period, unless an oral interview is required.
Students will receive a maximum of one credit after successful completion of a Spanish course at Swarthmore, if their AP score is 4 or 5, or if they achieved a score of 6 or 7 in the International Baccalaureate. Note that neither AP nor IB credits will be counted toward the major or minor in Spanish.