Each year, the Intercultural Center hires students for various programmatic efforts. Explore the below options if you are interested in paid involvement experiences.
- Intercultural Center Intern
Each year, the IC provides paid internships to undergraduate students interested in creating and supporting cultural and identity-centric programming. The application for being a 2022 IC intern is now closed. Applications will open again in Fall 2022.
The Intercultural Center interns create and support the sharing of cultural and identity-centric programming to the broader Swarthmore community. Interns ensure that the IC Collective’s “community cultural wealth” is leveraged through meaningful collaborations that cultivate a sense of belonging, inclusion, and community among all students and Student Organizations. Interns develop and implement community programming, build partnerships with different on-campus affinity groups and related constituents, maintain social media presence, and support the IC’s Assistant Director in various administrative roles.
- Maintain 2-4 desk hours per week
- Develop and maintain partnerships with student orgs within the IC Collective
- Design and advertise marketing materials for various programs and resources
- Ensure that IC StuOrgs have the organizational, financial, and institutional resources needed to thrive
- Support with various event management
- Assist with other projects as office needs such as administrative duties
- Assist Heritage Month committees in organizing, event planning, logistics, budgeting, and event execution
- Assist IC StuOrgs with the chartering process, group organization, & leadership transition processes.
- Assist IC StuOrgs with navigating the SBC funding process & strategize ways to increase, or maximize, existing funds
- Work with IC StuOrgs to secure funding from multiple campus sources for StuOrg driven events/programs
If you have questions about the Intercultural Intern position or application, please email the Assistant Director, Maggie Hussar.
- Heritage Month Committee Member
The Intercultural Center hires students to serve on planning committees for certain Heritage Months of the year. Those months are:
- Latinx Heritage Month (September 15 - October 15)
- Pride Month (October 11 - November 20)
- Native American Heritage Month (November)
- Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) Month (March)
Each month is a time to celebrate the rich and diverse cultures, traditions, and histories; and to acknowledge the important contributions of each month's people. Heritage Months are also opportune times to educate and to raise a general awareness about the unique challenges the representative people of each month have faced both historically and in the present, and the ways in which those individuals have worked to conquer these challenges.
Participation is open to all interested students (regardless of social identities or student organization affiliation). There are paid opportunities to be involved if you would like to serve on the planning committees, as well as unpaid volunteer opportunities for those who are interested. The IC is currently hiring for APIDA Heritage Month; apply here!
- Provide vision for Heritage Month
- Create a calendar of events for Heritage Month
- Engage community members within and beyond Swarthmore in events & programs
- Implement events and programs for Heritage Month
- 2-3 hours per week for core planning committee members
- Hours vary by event for volunteers
- NOTE: More hours may be required during event implementation stage