1929 Scott Arboretum
The Scott Arboretum is named for Arthur Hoyt Scott, a member of the Class of 1895 and second president of Scott Paper Co., whose family established a horticultural foundation in his name in 1929. Encompassing more than 300 acres of Swarthmore's campus and exhibiting more than 4,000 kinds of ornamental plants, the Arboretum displays some of the best trees, shrubs, vines, and perennials for use in the region. Its mission is to display plants suited for home gardens in the area and to educate the public.
Constructed in 1942, the Scott Outdoor Amphitheater was designed by noted Philadelphia landscape architect Thomas W. Sears. Today, mature tulip poplars provide the canopy for this memorable spot, in which graduation ceremonies and summer concerts are held.