Professor of Sociology
On sabbatical Spring 2020
Ph.D., Sociology, Northwestern University, 1983
M.A., Sociology, Northwestern University, 1976
B.A., Sociology, University of Virginia, 1975, with highest distinction
President, Religious Research Association, 2012-2014
Executive Director, The Eugene M. Lang Center for Civic and Social Responsibility, 2007-2015 (full-time)
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, 1997-2007 (full-time)
“Presidential Address: Revisiting Gender and Religion.” Review of Religious Research. Vol. 57, No. 3, September, 2015.
“Congregations and Community.” In Carl Milofsky and Ram Cnaan, eds., The Handbook on Community Movements and Local Organizations. New York: Springer, 2007.
“Women and Clergywomen.” Sociology of Religion. Vol. 61, No. 4, Winter, 2000.
"Clergywomen of the Pioneer Generation: A Longitudinal Study." Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion. Vol. 36, No. 4. December 1997.
"Making Family under a Shiftwork Schedule: Air Force Security Guards and Their Wives." With Rosanna Hertz. Social Problems, Vol. 36, No. 5. December 1989.
"Guarding Against Boredom: Security Specialists in the U.S. Air Force." With Rosanna Hertz. Journal of Contemporary Ethnography. October 1989.
"The Negotiated Order Approach to the Analysis of Social Organization." With David R. Maines. In Harvey A. Farberman and Robert S. Perinbanyagam, eds., The Foundations of Interpretive Sociology. Greenwich, Conn.: JAI Press, 1985.
Teaching and Research Interests
Public Sociology, Gender, Work, Organizations, Religion, Qualitative Methods
Courses and Seminars Taught
- First-year Seminar: Everyday Life
- Senior Seminar: Everyday Life II
- First-year Seminar: Social Action and Social Responsibility
- Honors Seminar: Work and the Workplace
- Honors Seminar: Gender and Culture
- Capstone Seminar: Women’s Studies
- Gender, Power, and Identity
- The Research Experience
- Research Design
- Field Methods
- The Meaning of Work: The Sociology of Occupations and Professions
- Urban Sociology: The Social Life of Cities
- Advanced Urban Research
- Research Internship Supervision
- Senior Thesis Supervision