Health Plan Options


The College offers group health care coverage for all benefit eligible faculty and staff.

Benefits eligibility is determined by hire date. If you are hired on the first day or first business day of the month, benefits are effective the first of that month. Otherwise, benefits will begin the first day of the following month.

Changes to coverage are limited to the annual open enrollment period, unless required by a “qualifying life event" (birth, death, marriage, divorce, loss of health care coverage from another source).  Any changes resulting from a qualifying event must be reported to Human Resources within 30 days following the effective date of the change.

Medical, Vision and Dental Plans

Swarthmore continues to offer an affordable and comprehensive selection of medical, dental and vision plans to meet your needs of health care coverage. Please click on the plans highlighted below for a description of the plans and coverage provided

Medical Coverage

For a review of each plan click on the name below:

Dental Coverage

Delta Dental is our dental insurer.  Please review the list of participating dentists within the Delta Dental network. Review the College's dental coverage under the basic and buy up plans [PDF]

Vision Coverage

Our vision provider remains Davis Vision and there have been no changes in the plan coverage. Keep in mind that to receive the maximum benefit from this plan you should use a Davis Network provider for both the eye examination and for purchasing eyeglasses.

Flu Shot Reimbursement

During the Flu Season months, we want to make certain that all of our members take advantage of the Flu Shot program that Independence Blue Cross offers. Under the new health care legislation flu shots are now covered as a preventative service at 100% if you get them at your doctor's office. IBC will continue to pay up to $25 towards the cost of the Flu Shot if you decide to get a flu shot other than at your doctor's office.

Please complete this form and return it to address on the form with your receipt.

Flu Shot Reimbursement Form [PDF]

I want to change my doctor/dentist. How do I go about that?

The change can be made over the phone. Simply call the number on the back of your medical/dental card and give them the change information.

I'm getting married and want to add my spouse to my health insurance. How can I do this?

Contact John Cline at x8652 or by e-mail and he'll assist you with the process. One thing to remember: you have only 30 days from the date you were married to add your spouse. If you miss that deadline, you must wait until the next Open Enrollment period to make the addition.

I'm having/adopting a baby. What do I need to do?

If you are going to add the baby to your medical insurance, be aware that the baby is covered from the moment of birth or placement. You have 30 days from the date of event to actually do the enrollment. Contact John Cline at x8652 or by e-mail for assistance.

If you are staff, contact Terri Maguire at x8398 or by e-mail for information on eligibility for Parental Leave and Salary Continuation.