Transfer Students

Who can transfer into Swarthmore?

Students who have completed the equivalent of two or more semesters of university-level work must apply for transfer admissions. Admissions status for students who have completed less than the equivalent of two semesters of university-level work will be decided on a case-by-case basis. Students who have already completed a bachelor's degree, or higher, are not eligible to apply.

What do I need to do to transfer into Swarthmore?

Applicants for transfer must have had an outstanding academic record in the institution attended and must present transcripts for both college and secondary school work, including an official statement indicating that the student is leaving the institution attended in good standing.

Application requirements, including the Common Application and Swarthmore Transfer Supplement, can be found in the 'Apply to Swarthmore' section of this website.

Transfer applications are due April 1. Transfer applicants are notified of decisions on or before May 30.

Do you offer interviews for Transfer Applicants?

Yes, Swarthmore does offer transfer applicants the opportunity to interview with an alumnus/a of the college in your local area. Transfer interviews occur during the months of February and March. All transfer interview requests must be submitted no later than March 6, 2015. 

Is Financial Aid available for transfer students?

Need-based financial assistance is available for transfer students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Transfer applications are not accepted from international students who require financial aid.

How are transfer credits awarded?

Transfer credits are awarded after an applicant earns admission. Credits are handled on a case-by-case basis by Swarthmore's registrar, Martin Warner. You can reach him at