Early Decision Timeline For Applicants Who Live Inside the U.S.
|Fall early decision
|Winter early decision
|Finalizing our tentative early decision
If you wish to be considered for Swarthmore College scholarship, along with federal or state grants, loans, or campus work opportunities for the 2014-15 academic year, you and your parents (and stepparents, if any) must complete our financial aid application. Tentative financial aid decisions will be mailed included with admission letters. (However, if you wish to apply for federal aid only, complete just the federal FAFSA form.
Our tentative financial aid decision will consider your family's best estimates of their 2013 financial facts. Once we review parents' actual 2013 income and tax documents in February, we will correct and finalize our tentative decision.
Please note: All documents except the CSS PROFILE and Noncustodial Parent's PROFILE should be mailed to:
Financial Aid Office
500 College Ave.
Swarthmore, PA 19081
If you prefer, you can also print out more detailed instructions [pdf]
- Swarthmore Financial Aid Request form [PDF]
- Our Swarthmore Financial Aid Request [pdf] form gathers additional information about a family's resources and obligations, and collects details required for federal aid eligibility verification.
- Mail this form directly to the Swarthmore College Financial Aid Office, 500 College Ave, Swarthmore, PA 19081, along with tax and income information listed below.
- 2012 final year end paycheck stubs: parents and stepparents
- Copy all stubs and attach them to the Swarthmore Financial Aid Request [pdf] form.
- This document will detail all taxed and untaxed compensation as well as all deductions for the full 2012 year. This includes: free housing, cafeteria plan benefits, or contributions to 401K, 403b, TSA or other tax-deferred pension or benefit or savings/investment plans that must be verified.
- Employers may call this a "pay advice" or "pay statement" and it may be a photocopy of an actual paycheck stub or a printout of an on-line full year 2012 summary from employer's personnel office website.
- The W-2 wage statement does not substitute for the required final, year-end paycheck stub.
- 2013 Most recent paycheck stubs: parents (and stepparents if any)
- Copy all stubs and attach them to the Swarthmore Financial Aid Request [pdf] form along with your 2012 final, year-end paycheck stub(s) .
- This document will detail all taxed and untaxed compensation as well as all deductions from January 1, 2013 and nearing the time you submit your application. This includes: free housing, cafeteria plan benefits, or contributions to 401K, 403b, TSA or other tax-deferred pension or benefit or savings/investment plans that must be verified.
- Employers may call this a "pay advice" or "pay statement." It may be a photocopy of an actual paycheck stub or a printout of an on-line 2013 summary from employer's personnel office website
- 2012 W-2 wage statements and Form 1099 income statement forms: parents (and stepparents if any)
- The 2012 Form 1099 statement details income for contract earnings, retirement, pension, annuity, Social Security income (needed for all household members), unemployment benefits, or disability benefits.
- Do not send us any Form 1099 forms related to interest or dividend income.
- 2012 federal income tax returns: parents (and stepparents if any)
- A signed photocopy of your mother's and father's (and stepparent's, if any) 2012 federal income tax return is needed.
- ALL pages and schedules are required. Do not send 2011 tax documents or estimated documents or state tax returns.
- CSS/PROFILE form for 2014-15 apply online at www.collegeboard.org
- Business/Farm Supplement, if applicable
- 2012 federal business income tax return: parents (and stepparents if any)
- This is needed if either parent or stepparent is self-employed or has any interest or involvement in a corporation, partnership or working farm.
- All pages and schedules-not just the K-1 forms are required.
- NonCustodial Parent's PROFILE for 2014-15: parent and stepparent
- The NonCustodial Parent's PROFILE is for students whose parents are not together -- whether divorced, separated, or never married.
- The parent (and stepparent) who did not complete your PROFILE form must complete this application.
- When you submit the CSS/PROFILE form, the College Board will send the student an email to forward to the noncustodial parent. The email provides a pre-assigned login and password that must be used by the noncustodial parent the first time he or she accesses the site.
- If you have questions about this form, please contact College Board customer service at (305) 829-9793 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Noncustodial Parent's 2012 tax and income information
The following documents are needed from both your noncustodial parent (and stepparent, if any). Mail all application materials to The Financial Aid Office:
- 2012 final, year-end paycheck stub(s)
- 2013 Most recent paycheck stub(s)
- 2012 W-2 wage statement(s)
- 2012 federal income tax return
- Business/Farm Supplement for 2014-15 [pdf]
- 2012 federal business income tax return
Finalizing our tentative early decision:
Mid-February, your family will submit finalized 2013 tax and income information. Just as our tentative award required, all parents, noncustodial and stepparents must submit the required application materials by mail to our office. Do not fax or scan, regular mail only will be accepted.
- 2013 final, year-end paycheck stub(s)
- 2013 W-2 wage statement(s)
- 2013 federal income tax return
- 2013 federal business income tax return
- FAFSA for 2014-15 (Free Application For Federal Student Aid)
- Completed using the information of the parent(s) with whom you live.
- Complete the on-line, after Jan. 1 and after parents have filed their 2013 federal tax return.