Appeal Process

If a disagreement arises concerning requested accommodations, the student may appeal the decision.  Below are the steps to take.

1.     The student must try to resolve the problem informally with the Director of Student Disability Services.

2.     If the concerns cannot be resolved, the student may appeal.

3.     If the dispute concerns academic requirements, it may be addressed to the Committee on Academic Requirements (CAR).

4.     Other concerns may be appealed to the Committee on Documented Disabilities.

5.     Appeals must be presented in writing within 10 working days following the decision being appealed so that documents can be reviewed, involved individuals can be interviewed and remedial actions can be taken promptly (if required).

6.     Replies from the Committee on Documented Disability appeals will be provided within 30 working days or sooner (if possible).  In certain cases, the time for response to appeals may be extended upon written consent from both parties.

7.     Replies from the CAR may take longer so it is important that the student initiate the appeal long before the senior year.  It often takes several weeks to set up a CAR meeting and, if the CAR recommends a waiver to a requirement, that waiver must be ratified at the next faculty meeting in order to take effect.

8.     The Equal Opportunity Officer, Zenobia Hargust, is available to support and guide the student throughout the appeal process.  For more information, visit the Swarthmore Equal Opportunity Office or contact Zenobia Hargust at or 610-328-8398.


If a student with a disability feels he/she has experienced discrimination based on a disability, the student should consult with the Director of Student Disability Services, a dean, or the Equal Opportunity Officer.  They can advise the student about the College procedures and policies concerning discrimination.  If a student with a disability has a complaint, based on the disability, against a college employee or fellow student, he/she is encouraged to discuss the concern with the person directly or he/she may contact the employee's supervisor, the Director of Student Disability Services or one of the deans.