Packing & Moving In
MOVE-IN DAY: TUESDAY, AUGUST 25, 2015
We look forward to welcoming you and your family on Move-in Day. Please follow these guidelines when you arrive.
Please do not arrive before 9:00 a.m. Residence Halls will not open and keys will not be available until 9:00 a.m. Check-in time is from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. After 12:30 p.m., keys can be picked up in Parrish Hall.
Enter at the following campus entrances for your residence hall. Directions to campus are available on the College's Visitor site.
- If your room is in Parrish residence hall, use the Main Entrance at College Avenue.
- If your room is in Willets residence hall, use the Benjamin West Entrance, then turn right when you enter the lot.
- If your room is in Alice Paul, David Kemp, or Mertz residence halls, use the Benjamin West Entrance, then turn left when you enter the lot.
- If your room is in Dana, Hallowell, or Wharton residence halls, use the South Entrance.
- If your room is in Mary Lyon residence hall, from the main College entrance at College Avenue follow Rt. 320 south, turn right (west) at the light at Yale Avenue, then take the next left (south) on Harvard Avenue. The dorm is immediately on your right.
Swarthmore College is a pedestrian campus. Parking can be a challenge, especially on Move-in Day. When you approach the residence hall, you may have to wait in line to unload your vehicle. When it is your turn to unload, student volunteers will be available to assist you from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.
Between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., pick up your room key at the designated table at the residence hall. Between 12:30 and 5:00 p.m., keys will be distributed from Parrish Hall.
When your vehicle is unloaded, the driver must immediately move the vehicle to a campus parking lot. You may not park at the residence hall or along the road.
After your belongings are stored in your room, go to Shane Lounge in Parrish Hall to pick-up your Orientation Packet containing your academic placement information, an Orientation Guide, and a full schedule of Move-in Day events. While in Shane Lounge, you can also pick up your post office box key.
Your orientation packet will contain your Student Identification Card if you submitted your information and photo by the deadline. If your packet does not contain your ID card, go to the Benjamin West building to have an ID made. You will need your ID card to use your Dining Services meal plan.
Throughout the day, Information Technology Services Staff, will be in the residence halls to assist you with computer set-up. They can be identified by their name badges.
Please pack some extra patience with you on Move-in Day as we welcome the class of 2019 and new transfer students to campus.
Please note: Assistance with move-in is available from 9:00 a.m. to noon. After noon, keys and orientation packets will be distributed from Parrish Hall East, Room 108; after 5:00 p.m., these items will be stored at the Benjamin West House.
We encourage you to check this webpage and the Tuesday, August 25 Orientation Schedule webpage in July, and again in August, for any updates.