Packing and Settling in On Campus
What to pack, what to buy, what to leave at home
The College provides:
- Furniture: bed, desk, chair, dresser
- Coin operated laundry facilities
What you will need:
- Bedding - twin x-long (36x8Ox9), mattress covers*, sheets*, thick/heavy blankets*, bedspreads*, pillow*
- Clothes hangers*
- Desk lamps with an extra light bulb or two* (halogen lamps are not allowed)
- Metal waste basket* (metal required for fire safety)
- Towels and washcloths*
Nice things to have:
- Alarm clock/clockradio*
- Bike, bike helmet, and bike lock* (most bikes must be stored outdoors)
- Computer, with cables* and accessories*
- Hair dryer*
- Ear plugs
- Stereo/radio with headphones
- Small refrigerator*, no larger than 24" high, 18" deep and 18" wide (Energy Star Rating required. We encourage only one refrigerator per room.
- Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) approved extension cord/outlet strip with circuit breaker* Note: Rooms often have limited outlets. For safety reasons, all electrical items must be UL approved and be limited to the electric capacity of the room.
- Air conditioners
- Space heaters
- Cooking appliances (toasters, toaster ovens, microwaves, ForemanTM-style grills, hot plates, and anything with an open heat element), candles, halogen lamps, incense, space heaters and other fire hazards
Pets of any kind
- We do not encourage students to bring televisions; the residence hall rooms do not have access to cable
Wireless routers (they can interfere with the wireless network)
Please note: beginning Fall 2014, the College no longer provides landline phone service or voicemail in the residence halls. All students should register their cell phone numbers with the College's Emergency Response System.
* Indicates items available for purchase in the College Bookstore. Orders can be placed online at http://www.bookstore.swarthmore.edu, and packed and waiting for you to pick up in the Bookstore when you arrive on campus.