Removing Admissions Barriers

Cunningham House

If your parents or guardians didn't go to college, or if you come from a low-income background, you might encounter unique obstacles during the admissions process. We want the process to be fair for everyone.

Application Fee Waivers

You do not need to use NACAC or College Board fee waivers for Swarthmore. Fee waivers are available via the Common Application or Coalition Application. We also partner with QuestBridge, which does not charge an application fee to use its application platform. Transfer students enrolled in a community or junior college do not need to pay the application fee. 

Undocumented Student Policy

Our Quaker heritage informs our work. That’s one reason why we treat undocumented and DACA-eligible first-year and transfer students the same way we admit and fund any domestic student.

Need-Blind Admissions

Our admissions review is need-blind, which means we don't consider your ability to pay when we evaluate your application for admission. This policy applies to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, eligible non-citizens (such as refugees), and undocumented students who graduate from a high school in the United States.

Discover Swarthmore

Each fall, we host a few hundred students on campus to explore life at Swarthmore. The Discover Swarthmore program is an all-expenses-paid trip to the College, and we accept nominations from counselors and advisers.


Each spring, we host another all-expenses-paid trip to Swarthmore for admitted students who are the first in their family to attend college, come from a low-income background, or work with a community-based organization that offers free advice on college admissions or financial aid. 

Personal Outreach and Assistance

Admissions deans and financial aid officers work together to ensure that you and your parents, counselors, and advisers have your questions answered. Find your regional dean

Enrollment Fee Waivers

Swarthmore waives enrollment deposits for eligible students, and we do not ask you for a housing deposit.