Records Management at Swarthmore
The Records Management Program at Swarthmore College is defined by a Records Management Policy [PDF] that establishes and governs the program, as well as retention schedules that designate the appropriate handling of record types on a department-by-department basis.
All employees of Swarthmore College are responsible for managing and maintaining their records in compliance with the Swarthmore College Records Management Program as well as applicable department policies and the law. The Records Management program is overseen by the Office of General Counsel. The Information Security Committee is responsible for developing, implementing, and administering the program. Each department is responsible for developing and updating its records retention schedule as appropriate, in coordination with the Information Security Committee.
Most departments at Swarthmore College do not yet have a retention schedule in place with the Information Security Committee. The Information Security Committee maintains a list of departments on campus and will proceed with scheduling departments for support in developing records management procedures on a case-by-case basis, prioritizing departments based on a variety of factors including: the liability and complexity of a department’s records, the degree to which effective records management protocols are already in place, the eagerness of the department to participate.
- For questions about transferring materials to the College Archives, contact the Friends Historical Library: firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-328-8496.
- Before sending any materials to the College Archives, always contact the Friends Historical Library first.
- Please complete, print out, and sign this Records Transfer Receipt form [PDF], and send it along with your records to the College Archives
- Office Services provides a shredding service for the College. This preset schedule is available to participating departments only. If you would like further information, please contact Tarsia Duff, Office Services, 610-328-7786 or email@example.com.
- Please complete an Authorization Form for Secure Destruction of Records [PDF] before shredding and retain it in a permanent file along with your records retention schedule.
- For questions about electronic records or electronic records security, contact ITS at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For general records management questions, contact Celia Caust-Ellenbogen or anyone else on the Information Security Committee.