Vaccines and Travel Medicine
Immunizations are available by appointment at 610-328-8058. Vaccines are paid for at the time of service and are offered "at cost". An insurance claim form or receipt will be provided at time of service. Many individual insurance carrier may not reimburse for travel vaccines. Please check with your insurance carrier for reimbursement issues. The college health center cannot bill your insurance directly for immunizations. See CDC's Travel Information
Travel health consults are provided by a Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner who offers travel assessment, counseling, and immunizations. Make an appointment at (x8058) at least 4-6 weeks before travel. If it is less than 4 weeks, it is still best to have a travel consult, but it is more beneficial if scheduled earlier. Referrals to Penn Travel Health from Swarthmore College Travel Health Consultants will provide students with a major discount at Penn Travel.
Students who travel/study abroad may be required by their program of study or work to have a physical exam prior to travel or acceptance into their program. The SHS provides for health exams, but these must be scheduled by appointment at least 1-2 weeks in advance.
List of vaccine services
- Flu vaccines: available every Fall/Winter season.
- Hepatitis A: series of 2 at 0 and 6 months ( recommended for travel to developing countries)
- IPV (Polio): Booster needed for travel to some countries, such as India, Pakistan, some African countries...
- Adacel ( Tetanus, diptheria, acellular pertussis or Tdap): recommended as a single lifetime booster for adolescents and/or adults
- Typhim (Typhoid) inactivated vaccine: protection lasts 2 years
- Gardasil (HPV): available per consultation (special order vaccine)
- Rabies: series of 3 (special order vaccine)
- Japanese Encephalitis: series of 2 (special order vaccine)
- Yellow Fever (referred to Penn Travel Clinic)
- CDC's Travel Information
- Dengue Fever