French language placement tests are offered online.
- Freshmen students must login to mySwarthmore and click on the Placement test tab for access and detailed instructions. It is important that students complete the language survey that appears at the beginning of the test. Upon completion of the test, students can register in the designated course during the registration period, unless an oral interview is required.
- Upper-classmen interested in taking placement test should contact Michael Jones in the Language Resource Center for information and instructions (mjones1, 610-328-8036).
- Students who have taken French AP/IB are required to take the online placement test.
- First-year students with a 531 or higher on their online placement test are required to take the written literature/culture essay placement test on Wednesday of orientation week to be correctly placed in a French class.
- Note: the French Online Placement Test is not a substitute for an official standard achievement test of a foreign language (such as the College Board exam or the International Baccalaureate). Therefore, it does not serve as proof of achievement for the purpose of fulfilling the language requirement. This test is only intended to assist instructors in placing students in the appropriate Swarthmore course.